Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Uganda Firsts

First time to live for an extended period of time in a place without warm water – I’ve come to appreciate short, cold showers and running water.

First time I’ve bought a fried plantain through a bus window (about 10 cents/plantain)

First time I’ve been constantly aware of the color of my skin and how it immediately distinguishes me from the locals. (Here foreign people are called “muzungo” and little kids run down the street after us pointing, sometimes laughing, and yelling “muzungo”)

First time someone offered to trade a cow for me

First time to pick a guava fruit from a tree on the side of the road and eat it (now that’s organic)

First time to spend 2 hours each day commuting to work in public transportation

First time to see a man without legs “walking” down the street using his arms with flip flops on his hands so that he would not get cut by the jagged stones

First time to read the Ugandan newspaper daily – Ive really updated on Ugandan current events (and starting to be updated on African current events)

First time I’ve eaten goat cooked in ground nuts

First time I’ve become immune to men patrolling stores with huge loaded guns to intimate people who might steal

First time I’ve changed my name from “Joan” to “Jo-ann” because everyone here thinks I keep saying John and then gives me a funny “you-don’t-look-like-a-guy” stare.

First time I’ve realized how prominent American cultural (not just general globalization) is in Uganda. Seriously, our host was watching MTV when we met him and I had a conversation about the cartoon “Ed, Edd, and Eddy”

First time I’ve ever really appreciated toilet paper

3 comments:

  1. Re: The 4th First Time Item

    Jo-Ann,
    What kind of cow was it?
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Gass,
    You are wonderful.
    Love,
    Lindsay

    Dear Jo-ann,
    Don't go bartering yourself away! I claimed you first.
    Love,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. firsts are wonderful. definitely feel you on the toilet paper one! also, that's funny that you changed your name. i've actually been going by kathleen here because it just sounds SO much better in french. ;)

    ReplyDelete